The Eagles were founded on February 6, 1898 in Seattle Washington at the Moran’s shipyard by six theater owners. Even though these six men were competitors, they met to discuss the solution to a musicians strike and to bury the hatchet between them.
They formed an organization called the, “Seattle Order of Good Things”. Their constitution asked members to “promote peace, prosperity, gladness and hope to make human life more desirable by lessening its ills”. In April 1898, they chose the Bald Eagle as their official emblem and changed their name to the “Fraternal Order of Eagles”. The majority of members were actors, playwrights, stagehands and musicians who promoted the organization while touring the United States and Canada. This is also the time that a charter was secured and the Grand Aerie was formed. Within 10 years, they had over 350,000 members and 1,800 lodges (clubs) in the U.S., Canada and Mexico. In August 1926 at the annual convention, the Ladies Auxiliary was formally created and approved.
The mission of the Fraternal Order of Eagles (FOE) is: “to unite fraternally for mutual benefit, protection, improvement, social enjoyment and association, all persons of good moral character who believe in a Supreme Being to inculcate the principle of liberty, truth, justice and equality, to perpetuate itself as a fraternal organization and to provide for its government as its Constitution, Laws, Rituals, By-Laws or other rules and regulations may from time to time provide, and to promote the general welfare, the Fraternal Order of Eagles ordains this Constitution. To promote and raise funds for duly authorized Fraternal Order of Eagles charities and contribute to worthwhile charitable causes”
The motto of the Eagles is, “People helping People”. Some of the notable accomplishments of the organization are: it was the Eagles that pushed for the foundation of Mother’s Day, who provided for Social Security and who pushed to end job discrimination based on age. Did you know that Presidents Theodore Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman, Franklin Delano Roosevelt were members as well as Jimmy Durante and Max Baer.
In order to accomplish our mission of ,”make human life more desirable by lessening its ills”, we provide for several charities: Art Ehrmann Cancer Fund, Robert Hansen Diabetes Fund, Lew Reed Spinal Cord Injury Fund, D.D. Dunlap Kidney Fund, Max Baer Heart Fund, Jimmy Durante Children’s/Child Abuse Fund, to name just a few. The Eagles Memorial Foundation provides for the children of members who have lost their lives in the course of doing their job. The money helps provide medical and educational benefits.
On a local level, the Chippewa Valley Fraternal Order of Eagles Aerie was chartered on March 4, 1936 that initially met at the KP Hall in Eau Claire, then the SAF building and then to a building on Galloway Street. In 1961, the Aerie bought land and built a new Club at their current location in Hallie. On October 4, 1970, they dedicated a portion of the property as the Carl Malon Park, a ball field to be used for the youth of the Town of Hallie. Aerie member Carl Malon and his wife Lucille were the benefactors for the field. In October 1973, the Ladies Auxiliary was chartered. Through the years, the Eagles sponsored many charitable functions for the Community as we continue that work today. To better serve the Community and our work, the Club was expanded in 2007. Our most recent update, the old pavilion at the rear of the building was torn down and rebuilt and dedicated as the Outback Bar.